Weekend Wear & Denim Ensemble
Weekend and Denim is a casual wear class in which I developed a portfolio of weekend wear designs and swimwear designs, which were critiqued by a professional in the fashion industry. One three-piece weekend wear ensemble was constructed and fit to a model and shown in The Collections Annual Student Designer Fashion Show.
My concept revolved around symbolism in Japanese motifs, specifically cranes as a symbol of longevity and plum blossoms as a symbol of renewal. The collection is for the contemporary market and is aimed at a woman who appreciates the small details like the hand embroidery on the crop top, scallop detail on the shorts, and the box pleat on the back of the denim jacket.
The project parameters included:
- Researched Spring/Summer 2017 trends and competition in the weekend wear industry;
- Rendered illustrations and CADs by hand;
- Drafted production patterns and fit muslins to models within 3 weeks;
- Constructed chosen look within 2 weeks;
- Completed costing and spec sheets following the design work.
Class: Design Studio II—Weekend & Denim
School: Stephens College School of Design