Get Smart is a client project in which I designed the marketing materials for the City of Columbia’s Office of Cultural Affairs (OCA) new public art app, Otocast, available in the iTunes app store. In total I created a printed 4″x6″ card and a magazine ad.
While designing I kept in mind that my client wanted the card and ad to be vibrant, organized, and technology driven. the OCA was trying to appeal to a younger demographic, though they maintained a wide audience. This led me to use the bright, mostly complementary color scheme with accents of green. I researched modern graphic design trends and noticed many designers were using their own art in their designs. This lead to my Keys to the City illustration that focuses the viewers’ attention on the iconic Keys to the City statue in downtown Columbia, MO. The illustration effectively declares this ad is about public art.
The project parameters included:
- Held an intake and design brief meeting with the client to learn about the project;
- Researched Fall 2015 graphic design trends in modern art to inform my designs;
- Utilized Adobe programs to design a card and magazine ad featuring public art in Columbia, MO;
- Illustrated the Keys to the City graphic using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop;
- Presented the finished designs to the client and the class.
Class: Design Applications
School: Stephens College School of Design